A good portion of my life has been spent playing the piano for everyone else's diva moments. Now it's my turn. I invite you to accompany ME through my life's diva and, well, not so diva-like moments. It'll be entertaining. Promise.



Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Free Time

What do you do with your free time?  Is there even such a thing as "free time"?

When I graduated from High School we were still using word processors for our papers. The Internet was there, but not widely used. Same with cellphones.

Fast forward 11 years and I have my first baby. I regularly use the Internet for e-mail, surfing, online classes, and listening to (not watching) General Conference. My sister has been out of High School for 2 years and she used the Internet for all of her papers.

Fast forward another 9 years and here I am holding this 2 by 4 teensy, tiny black box in my little patties and updating my blog, checking my social media sites, checking my e-mail, and playing Scrabble with Schweets, all while watching my favorite show on TV.

Rewind 150 years. Women spent ALL DAY cooking, cleaning, I can't even say doing the laundry because that makes me envision Whirlpool and Maytag...let's just call it 'washing clothes'.  Hard, physically exhausting, grunt work. 

Fast forward from today 50 years...2061.  EVERYONE ON EARTH will have lived to a certain degree, or at least have been exposed to, techonology in all it's many faces.  Where will we be?!  How will our interaction (social media) develop further?  I will be 86 years old in that year, and will have spent a lifetime right in the thick of technology.  I wonder if I will have a computer chip in my head.  I wonder if there will be a machine that will take my laundry out of the washer and put it into the dryer.  Maybe I will have my own personal robot that will then fold my laundry and put it away.  Then what will I do with those minutes of my day that have been freed?  Am I saying that my ancestors never had any free time?  Hardly.  The amount, and type has evolved drastically and I can't help but wonder what it will look like in the future.

What's my point?

Well, I just find it fascinating.

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment